School Dinner Menu - Effective from September
At Strathmore we encourage all children to take advantage of free schools meal (supplied by Herts catering) for the following reasons:
- It’s not always easy to make a lunchbox which packs in the same variety and nutrition, on a daily basis, as a school meal. Even ‘healthier’ favourites like yoghurts and cereal bars can be packed full of sugar. Our school meals meet the National School Food Standards, designed by leading experts in child nutrition, and mean that your child is getting the levels of energy and essential nutrients they need; research shows not all packed lunches meet these same standards.
Packed lunches can include:
- at least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables every day
- water (if they wish) water is available for all children on each table
- a starchy food such as any type of bread (white or wholegrain rolls, pitta bread or wraps), pasta, rice, couscous, noodles
- meat, fish, eggs, or a non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, houmous, falafel)
- cakes or biscuit but encourage your child to eat these as part of a meal
Packed lunched should not include:
- Nuts - we are a nut free school
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars and sweets
- Sugary soft drinks (only water should be supplied for children to drink)
You may like to look at the following website for some further support on what makes a healthy lunchbox:
To our catering suppliers, HCL who were recently awarded a 5* hygiene rating from environmental health!